Tuesday 4 May 2010

Iron Man 2****



"We are hindered with the technologies of our time, so it is up to you to make this vision a reality. What is my greatest creation and always will be, is you."

With his boosted ego, fame, money and two fantastic female associates, Robert Downey Jr. has accomplished another grand job of pulling off the smooth superhero. Taking back the role of Tony Stark, the public now know what his real identity is. At times I have to admit I found the whole pretentious attitude a bit annoying, but I guess that is what kept him witty and a crowd pleaser. The irony of this film was that at the beginning it felt like everything was too perfect, but of course there had to be a blip somewhere and this was the fact that the palladium in the Arc Reactor that keeps his heart beating is actually killing him due to his raised blood toxicity levels.

Like most of the other superhero films it was full of complex technology and advanced weaponry, which surprisingly I am easily fascinated with. Ranging from the suitcase suit to a coffee table which let him access a wide range of personal records I felt placed very far in the future. I fell in love with the race track scene, I was so impressed with the CGI and the camera work gave the audience point of view shots to really convey just how much of a pickle Tony was in. The sound kept me tense, every time Ivan (Mickey Rourke) used his electric whips I honestly felt a little intimidated, those long nails gave me the creeps too.

I thought Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts) was just as adorable as she was in the first one, and when contrasted with Scarlett Johansson (Natalie Rushman) with her unpredictable personality and strength this gave a good balance of the vulnerable woman but also the loyal sidekick. I did think Johansson would have played a bigger part in it but her fighting sequences were sexy, impressive, and I think I even heard a couple of 'ooh's from the boys sitting behind me. I also enjoyed that director Jon Favreau himself starred in the film as Happy Hogan, he gave comedic value at all the serious moments.

Lastly, you were a fool if you didn't stay til after the credits. In this very short scene the S.H.I.E.L.D agent Phil Coulson drove to an impact crater in the New Mexico desert, where he informs Nick Fury (Samuel L Jackson) that they've "found it" as the camera settles on Thor's hammer. Thor is another Marvel superhero and is part of a team called the Avengers who include both Thor, Iron Man and the Hulk, amongst others. I think we will be seeing a film on this in 2011/12 in which Robert Downey Jr. will still play Iron Man.


Overall, I'd say this was the type of film that you mainly want to see because you've seen the first one and can tell it won't beat the first, but are just as curious all the same.

No comments: