Monday 7 June 2010

Daybreakers*** (DVD)



This was one of those films which looked really intriguing in the trailer, but I never got round to seeing it. Nevertheless, it was probably a good thing as I was jumping out of my skin within the first ten minutes and that was without the ridiculously massive screen and surround sound in the dark. Don't get me wrong, I love my fantasy sci-fi films but it is safe to say, this isn't the film for you if you're a jumpy person like me. If you get a bit queasy at the sight of blood, I'm afraid to inform you there is A LOT of the stuff. As a vampire film would you expect any less? Well, only if you're watching Twilight.

Directed by the Spierig brothers who were responsible for Undead (2003), Daybreakers is set in 2019 where the vast population are now vampires, draining the remaining humans for their blood supply, however this supply is running out and without it these vampires become restless, mutated, violent creatures. One vampire, Edward, is trying to find a substitute blood supply to satisfy the population but through his research he finds himself becoming more friendly with a small group of humans in hiding, who give him the cure for his race's problem.

The first few scenes were completely silent which did the thriller element of the film justice. What made me a little fidgety in my seat was the way the majority of the film was filmed at night, and we all know things can go bump in the night. As much as I hated the jumping, I was unable to predict when a vampire was going to spring out because there was hardly any music to keep the audience in suspense, and even in the most innocent scenes there seemed to be a reason for someone to bite someone else. The prosthetics and special effects were done really well, but without complaining too much I thought the burning vampires could have been better. Everything else seemed gory, vamps exploding and eating each other, but the burning didn't seem so realistically portrayed.

There were some excellent actors, Willem Dafoe (Green Goblin in Spiderman) and Sam Neill (Jurassic Park); Dafoe playing the wise man who had once been a vampire but turned back to human, and Neill being the head of the corporation draining the humans. After seeing him being the hero in three very well known fantasy films I couldn't adjust to him being a villain. Variety said to take 'The Matrix' and '28 Days Later' to get Daybreakers and I think they were right. I could definitely see parts of The Matrix within it, mainly the narrative and the way humans were being used but also Edward's super complex car.

If you want a real film where vampires don't glitter in the sun, then you really need to sink your teeth into this.

No comments: