Monday 9 August 2010

The A-Team***



Now I wonder what word could possibly replace the A in A-Team? Amazing? It's a bit too flattering. Adventurous? Hardly. I think the word I'm looking for is adequate. Despite the generous amount of explosions and gun fighting scenes, the film was portrayed in a way that at times became confusing, such as the planning of an attack which was illustrated at the same time. It felt like an anti-climax that we didn't receive the usual build up of plan, action and consequence, but instead skipped the action which is something I thought the A-Team would be packed with.

Don't get me wrong, from the very beginning we watch Face (Bradley Cooper) being saved by fellow team mates Hannibal (Liam Neeson) and B.A.Baracus (Quinton "Rampage" Jackson), so we are thrown right into a pit of destruction. I think it was a useful idea to introduce the characters slowly one by one, as not everyone is familiar with the 80's TV series the film was based on, and director Joe Carnahan definitely made a fine selection of actors to take up the roles. However, considering the hype made for this film including all those stupid Orange adverts before any film in the cinema, I was thoroughly confused and annoyed midway through at B.A becoming anti-violent and quoting Gandhi. If you were expecting a macho film, think again, Bradley Cooper's torso may say differently but the fact that one character loses the heart to kill anyone is quite deflating.

Some of the action was a little unrealistic, particularly the flying tank scene, which in all fairness did land in a lake but really, what are the chances? I know the A-Team have to appear perfect but surely one little hiccup wouldn't have hurt. On the other hand, the closing scenes of the dockyard domino-effect showdown was spectacular to watch, and very cleverly thought out by the big brains of the team, Liam Neeson. I thought Neeson gave a genuinely strong performance, similar to the role in Taken (2008) where he must take initiative, but completely opposite to his solitary role in Love Actually (2003), reflecting his ability as an actor to accept different emotional characters.

The additional romantic plot within the film wasn't really needed between Bradley Cooper and Jessica Biel, it just felt too awkward although I guess it makes this supposed action packed blockbuster more appealing to the feminine audience being dragged along by their other halves. On the up side, seeing as I am awarding this film three stars, and this means I neither loved or hated it, there were some worthy comical moments particularly between B.A and Murdock (Sharlto Copley). The action is drawn over several locations, and these were displayed in text so the audience did not lose their footing, something I always appreciate in action films such as The Losers. However, the editing did not always assist the action and I found myself becoming disorientated with it all a bit too often.

Unfortunately I have to say, and please don't cringe, this plan didn't quite come together. It was worth the watch, but undoubtedly not predicted the best action film this year, at least by myself anyway.

No comments: