Saturday 28 August 2010

Something different - True Blood and The Wheel Of Time


I don't usually comment on anything but the current films out there, but I thought I would share with you why I'm absolutely loving season three of True Blood.

I didn't think this TV series would ever be my cup of tea, it doesn't hold back on the amount of blood and gore, sex scenes, or torture. Surprisingly, three seasons down the line, I'm well and truly hooked. It's nothing like your Edward and Bella romance; maybe it's just as intense and sloppy, but surrounding them is an increase in murders, kidnappings, and an ever growing variety of creatures appearing in little Louisiana.

The series follows the story of Sookie Stackhouse (played none other than Anna Paquin - Rogue in X Men) who lives with her brother Jason and who works in your regular family restaurant owned by Sam Merlotte. The restaurant contains most of the main characters, what with it being a small town, but this makes it easy to keep up with all of them. Then there are the vampires, mainly Bill Compton, who Sookie falls in love with, but they're not all 'good'. You'll meet Eric Northman, and Lafayette Reynolds, who deals out vampire blood. Characters come and go, mostly the really naughty ones, and it usually takes a whole season to explain who or what one character is, making it that much more gripping. Some characters have their own powers, making the humans more likeable, however you won't find out what Sookie's is til season three!

Season three has pleasantly introduced werewolves, and about time really. It's a lot darker, gorier, and you can begin to see the split between the vampires, as some take the humans' side and others such as Russell Edgington (The vamp king of Mississippi) who want to kill off the human race. So if your a Twilight fan but would appreciate a real fight between fang and fur, then get your teeth stuck into True Blood. What's not to like, especially when all the characters are appealing to look at!


Secondly on my discussion agenda, I have recently finished book one of the Wheel of Time series, and can say I actually enjoyed it. It was recommended to me by my boyfriend, and I was a little apprehensive as it sounded too much of a lad's read. Once again, I was surprised, as it turned out to be a better version of Lord of the Rings, as The New York Times describes on the cover:

"With the Wheel of Time, Jordan has come to dominate the world Tolkien began to reveal"



With even more fantasy creatures and places than LOTR, these books are appealing to me because I'm a bit of a fantasy action geek. It's a funny cross between the LOTR films and the Zelda nintendo games. It's old school, swords and crossbows instead of guns, they wear cloaks and hold staffs, and I'm not afraid to say that I miss seeing that in cinema. The thing is with fantasy worlds is that you can go your whole life just pretending to yourself they're real, you can escape from your troublesome everyday life. Considering the Wheel of Time series is divided into twelve books, with two still to come, it's something that will keep you far more occupied than LOTR or Harry Potter. There may be some parts you don't understand, it's a bit overwhelming at first, but once you get the jist, the rest follows. If you really get stuck there's even a glossary at the end of each book!

The point I wanted to get to for anyone that actually reads these books is that there is rumour of films being made for them. I think I accidentally came across this link, but I'm pretty pleased I did! You can read it here:

http://www.geekology.co.za/blog/2010/01/first-wheel-of-time-movie-possibly-released-in-2011/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful blog. I love it.